Welcome to Synapse - CIHR Youth Connection
Synapse is a meeting place, a junction that brings together young Canadians with Canadian health researchers.
Science is all about people - let's get to know each other.
- What does health research involve? Is it just Petri dishes and pipettes?
- Thinking about a career in health research?
- Looking for hands-on science activities and programs to see if it's right for you?
- Want to talk to someone about health research?
CIHR's Synapse program is a good place to start answering these questions. Visit the Youth Zone to learn more about many aspects of health research. Meet CIHR-supported researchers and mentors and find out about careers in this field.
- Thinking about becoming a mentor?
- Want to reach a "younger crowd" but don't know where to start?
- Looking for mentorship opportunities?
- Need coaching on how to "reach" young people and be an effective mentor?
Students aren't the only one with questions. If you think you're at the stage where you'd like to start mentoring the next generation of health researchers, visit the Researchers' Zone. We can give you great ideas about how you can help and organizations that can assist you with this goal.
- Fact sheet: mentor me!
Practical fact sheet explaining to youth the steps they have to take in order to find a mentor, the preparation before the meeting, and the conduct of the meeting.
- Guide for CIHR Synapse mentors: mentoring a high school student
This pocket guide was created to support researchers who would like to become mentors. It contains tips and practical advice. This guide was created in collaboration with the Youth Science Foundation and the Conseil de développement du loisir scientifique.
- Guide for CIHR Synapse mentors who are Judges at a Science Fair
The Synapse team has created this pocket guide to help researchers who are interested in becoming a judge for science fairs. This pocket guide has been created in collaboration with the Youth Science Foundation and the Conseil de développement du loisir scientifique.
- Guide for CIHR Synapse mentors: presentations and demonstrations