How can a café be scientifique?
Café scientifiques started in the late-20th century as an informal discussion about scientific subjects. They were never intended to be lectures. The same holds true for CIHR Café scientifiques. They provide insight into health-related issues of popular interest to the general public, and in turn provoke questions and provide answers.
For that reason, the CIHR Café scientifiques are all about accessibility. They involve interaction between the public and experts in a given field at a café, a pub or a restaurant. If you want to take part in a CIHR Café scientifique, there is no need for you to have a science degree. You just need to have a deep-rooted desire to talk about a particular health subject. That way you could learn how health research may provide answers to any questions that are on your mind.
Like our CIHR Café Scientifique page on Facebook
- May 28 – "Cancer: What’s physical activity got to do with it?" – Medicine Hat
- May 14 – "Fitness to drive: How occupational therapists can support older adults" – Ottawa
- May 13 – "Should your tax dollars pay for IVF?" – Halifax
- May 8 – "Breast and ovarian cancer – Not only a disease for older women" – Vancouver
- May 7 – "Keeping secrets: Living with life-threatening illness" – Victoria
- May 7 - "Borders, babies and body parts: The ethical dilemmas of medical tourism" – Ottawa
- April 30 – "The Canadian index of wellbeing: How are Ontarians really doing?" – Waterloo
- April 29 – "Safe cycling in Canadian cities" – Ottawa
- April 27 – "The challenges of making lifestyle changes" – Fredericton
- April 24 – "Work and health: Does gender matter?" – Hamilton
- April 24 – "Spirituality and healing in healthcare: How does the integration of spirituality influence health outcomes or relieve suffering?" – Kamloops
- April 23 – "Of mice and men: Making sense of health science in the media" – Ottawa
Cafés on Canal Savoir
For the first time, Café Scientifiques, hosted by four of CIHR's Institutes, will be aired on Canal Savoir. View the Schedule of Cafés that have happened and will be broadcast on Canal Savoir.