ICR Institute Community Support (ICS) Program (2013-14)
The ICS Program is designed to foster community development by providing grants and awards to individuals and organizations for the purposes of:
- Aiding research and knowledge translation activities where the circumstances fall outside of CIHR's current suite of funding programs.
- Supporting individuals, organizations and activities whose goals are consistent with CIHR's and its Institutes' vision, mandate and strategic directions..
The ICS Program is not intended to support the direct cost of research (e.g. pilot projects, feasibility studies or operating grants), principal and co-investigator salaries or research equipment.
Institute of Cancer Research (ICR) ICS Program
For those seeking workshop and symposium support, please refer to the Planning Grants, Dissemination Events, and Knowledge Translation Supplement funding opportunities in the CIHR Funding Opportunities Database.
Under the framework of the ICS Program, ICR supports activities in four areas:
- The ICR Travel Awards program supports research trainees (graduate students and postdoctoral fellows) to travel to attend scientific meetings to present their own cancer-related research.
- The ICR Publication Prizes program rewards excellence in cancer research done in Canada by graduate students and postdoctoral trainees.
- The Early Career Award in Cancer program recognizes the excellence of research being conducted in Canada by a new investigator in the field of cancer.
- The ICR Knowledge Translation and Exchange Research Training Award program builds research capacity by providing researchers with funding for KTE research training.
Under the framework of the Institute Community Development (ICD) Program, ICR also supports the following activity:
- For the opportunity to get funding for the organization of a café scientifique, please refer to the CIHR Café Scientifique Program, which aims at providing support to educational and informal discussions on health topics of popular interest to the general public.
Please note that as of August 2011, the Travel Awards program has been administered through ResearchNet. Please visit the CIHR Funding Opportunities Database for details (e.g. application deadline, application instructions) on the funding opportunity.
The ICR Publication Prizes will continue to follow the current "paper-based" application process.
The Institute of Cancer Research's contribution to the amount available for this program is subject to availability of funds voted annually to CIHR by parliamentary appropriations, and the conditions that may be attached to them.
The total amount available for the ICS program for fiscal year year 2013-2014 is $85,0001. Although not anticipated at this time, additional funds may become available.
How to Apply
Applicants seeking funds from Institute of Cancer Research for community support activities need to follow the ICS program application process which is available on the ICS Program funding opportunity page.
The following links include instructions that apply when seeking funds for:
- ICR Travel Awards
- ICR Publication Prizes
- Early Career Award in Cancer
- ICR Knowledge Translation and Exchange Research Training Award
- CIHR Café Scientifique Program
For information on availability of funds or whether an activity could be funded under existing CIHR programs, please contact:
Anne Morrow, PhD
CIHR Institute of Cancer Research
- Footnote 1
The $85,000 Budget is allocated as follows: $45,000 towards Travel Awards, $5,000 towards Publication Prizes, $25,000 for an Early Career Award, and $10,000 for ICR Knowledge Translation and Exchange Research Training Awards. Please visit the CIHR Funding Opportunities Database for details (e.g. application deadline, application instructions) on the funding opportunity.