IHDCYH Skills Update Travel Awards for Postdoctoral Fellows and Investigators
The Institute of Human Development, Child and Youth Health (IHDCYH) promotes and supports research that improves the health and development of mothers, infants, children, youth, and families in Canada and throughout the world.
IHDCYH is launching a competition for postdoctoral fellows and investigators to provide funding for visits to other research centres to enable the acquisition of specialized skills or research experience related to the Institute's mandate. The maximum amount for a single award varies from $5,000 to $10,000 (depending on seniority) to cover travel costs and accommodation expenses. The application deadline is May 27th, 2013.
Timeline and funding
|Postdoctoral Fellows||New Investigators1||Investigators
|Visit date:||Within 10 months after the application deadline|
|Application deadline:||May 27, 2013|
|Notification deadline:||Within 6 weeks after the application deadline|
|Funding per award:||Up to $5,000||Up to $5,000||Up to $10,000|
The applicant must be an investigator or a postdoctoral fellow working at a recognized Canadian academic institution and affiliated with IHDCYH (i.e., IHDCYH is the CIHR Institute mentioned by the researcher/trainee when applying to CIHR open competitions).
The research skills and activities must be related to the Institute's mandate and may include learning new experimental models, acquiring new techniques, developing of new data analytic skills, etc. The research centre visited by the applicant can be located in Canada or abroad.
Applications for IHDCYH Skills Update Travel Awards will be assessed by senior Institute staff, based on the strength of the application relative to the following criteria:
- Potential relevance of the applicant's research area to IHDCYH's mandate
- Potential relevance of the proposed research activity to IHDCYH's mandate
- Impact of the research activity on the applicant's career and research
The maximum amount for a skills update travel award will be $5,000 for postdoctoral fellows and new investigators, and $10,000 for investigators. Expenses eligible for support include:
- Travel costs
- Accommodation expenses
- Per diem for meals
How to Apply
To be eligible for funding, an application should include the following documents:
- The Institute Community Support (ICS) form [ PDF (244 KB) ]. Before completing the form, be sure to follow the instructions specific to the Skills Update Travel Awards program
- A copy of your abbreviated curriculum vitae (2 pages maximum)
- A letter of support from your research supervisor (for postdoctoral fellows)
- A description of the proposed research activity, explaining how this activity will impact your career (2 pages maximum)
- A letter of support from the host research centre
Please email the ICS form and all additional documents to Elisabeth Fowler (see below). The original page 5 (signature page) of the ICS form must also be scanned and sent by email:
Institute of Human Development, Child and Youth Health
Please note that if the application is funded, the contribution by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research and the Institute of Human Development, Child and Youth Health should be acknowledged on any meeting presentation and publications.
- Date modified: