CIHR has developed several initiatives that offer funding opportunities related to identified priority areas. Each of these initiatives involves collaboration between the Institutes and a wide range of partner organizations, including:
- other federal and provincial government departments and agencies
- international, national and provincial funding organizations and relevant territorial departments
- health charities
- non-governmental organizations
Their purpose is to offer funding opportunities focusing on a specific research agenda. In the case of four key strategic priorities, CIHR's Governing Council has specifically endorsed a joint, cross-cutting effort involving all thirteen Institutes.
The initiatives help CIHR to allocate its resources to make the strongest possible impact on health and health care. The Institute of Infection and Immunity (III) is involved in the following signature initiatives:
- Inflammation in Chronic Disease (co-lead)
- Environments and Health (co-lead)
- Personalized Medicine (partner)
- Pathways to Health Equity for Aboriginal Peoples (partner)
In addition, III has developed a number of strategic research initiatives to stimulate targeted areas where a need has been identified. These initiatives usually involve community development activities and targeted funding opportunities.