About the University Delegates' Network
RoleThe CIHR University Delegate (UD) network has been in place since 2001. This group meets once a month via teleconference, and its mandate is to keep the health research community, within the university and its affiliated institutions, informed of CIHR's research directions, initiatives and decisions, and to solicit their active participation on awareness activities. Through the UDs, CIHR seeks the views of the community on key policy and implementation questions and is attentive to concerns expressed by the UDs and the communities they represent.
Examples of tasks:
- Understand the CIHR mandate and policies and communicate them to colleagues
- Stimulate interest in funding opportunities among colleagues
- Answer local questions about CIHR programs/policies, and connect researchers with the right CIHR staff
- Provide CIHR with information on the needs, opinions and mood of the research community
- Identify how CIHR funding opportunities can help build health research capacity at a small university
- Participate in public awareness events
- Arrange visits by CIHR staff to the university
As per the terms of reference, each UD will have a four-year renewable term.
Institutions have the flexibility to change their appointed delegate at any time based on their requirements. New University Delegates must provide their coordinates, a short, point-form biography, along with a photograph for the CIHR website. (Please send by email to: University.Delegates@cihr-irsc.gc.ca).
Timing of Meetings /Teleconferences
University Delegates have monthly teleconference calls held every first Thursday of every month (except if there is a holiday, or if they are cancelled during summer holidays). In addition, a face-to-face meeting in Ottawa is normally held once per year.
- Date modified: