President’s office – President's fund
The President’s Fund provides small grants in non-traditional areas and where there are no other possible opportunities for funding from CIHR, according to established eligibility criteria. CIHR contributes to these initiatives to help fulfill its role in raising awareness of the importance and value of health research to the health of Canadians, the health system and the economy.
The President’s Fund grants are intended to:
- support organizations and initiatives whose goal is consistent with CIHR’s vision, mandate and strategic directions;
- provide financial assistance for events that will increase CIHR’s visibility such as conferences, workshops or other events where the objectives of the event align with the interests of CIHR overall and not individual Institutes;
- provide special, one-time grants to support health research activities where the request falls outside of CIHR’s regular funding programs1.
The fund has an annual budget allocation of $100,000 and will provide one time grants up to $25,000 per grant. CIHR’s contribution to the amount available for this initiative is subject to availability of funds voted annually to CIHR by parliamentary appropriations, and the conditions that may be attached to them. Although there are no established deadlines for submissions for the President's Fund, it is recommended that requests be submitted six (6) months prior to the activity/event in order to ensure that there is adequate time to process the request.
- The request is consistent with CIHR's mandate, vision as well as the Strategic Directions as outlined in the Health Research Roadmap.
- The request involves the promotion of the value of health research and is aligned with the overall interests of CIHR.
- There is opportunity to provide outreach and an increased profile for CIHR.
- The request has a national or international focus.
- The demonstration of additional sources of funding is included in the overall budget.
- The budget is appropriately costed for the activities proposed and the request for CIHR funds does not exceed $25K.
- This request is not eligible for any other funding opportunity.
Applicants should review the Use of Grant Funds section of the Tri-Agency (CIHR, NSERC and SSHRC) Financial Administration Guide for a complete listing and description of allowable costs and activities.
The application must provide a detailed justification of all costs. The President’s Fund is not intended to fund ongoing salary support.
Conditions of Funding
Successful applicants funded through this funding opportunity and any other persons working on the project must comply fully with the CIHR Funding Policies. Conditions cover areas such as Applicant and Institutional Responsibilities, Ethics, Official languages policy, Access to Information and Privacy Acts, and Acknowledgement of CIHR's support. Successful applicants will be informed of any special financial conditions prior to the release of funds or when they receive CIHR's Authorization for Funding (AFF) document.
Access to Information Act and Privacy Act, and the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)
All personal information collected by CIHR about applicants is used to review applications, to recruit reviewers, to administer and monitor grants and awards, to compile statistics, and to promote and support health research in Canada. Consistent with these purposes, applicants should also expect that information collected by CIHR may be shared as described in Conflict of Interest and Confidentiality Policy of the Federal Research Funding Organizations (COIC).
CIHR as a federal entity is subject to the Access to Information Act and the Privacy Act, therefore, the requirements of these two statutes will apply to all information located in CIHR's premises including, without limitation, cost-sharing agreements related to this Funding opportunity and all matters pertaining thereto.
While respecting the application of the Privacy Act to federal entities, all signing parties involved in a collaborative agreement will also be bound by the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA). All personal information (as identified by the PIPEDA) collected, used or disclosed in the course of any commercial activity under collaborative agreements related to the Funding opportunity will be collected, used and disclosed in compliance with the PIPEDA.
Funding recipients are required to acknowledge CIHR, its institutes and partners in any communication or publication related to the project. See Communication of Competition Results for details on CIHR's communication requirements. The contributing institutes / partners will be identified on the Authorization for Funding and decision letter.
How to apply
All requests to the President's Fund must follow the following process:
1. All requests2 must be in writing and addressed to the President's Office. The following information must be provided:
- Clearly state how this request follows the intent of this Fund.
- Clearly explain why this request falls outside of CIHR's regular funding programs.
- Timelines for the request/event.
- A detailed budget including commitments of other sources of funding (if applicable) and intended use of the CIHR grant.
- The anticipated size and makeup of the target audience, if the request is for an event or educational program
2. All requests will be evaluated by the President's Fund Committee who makes recommendations to the President. Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
3. All confirmations of decisions will be provided in writing. If the grant is to be made to an organization as opposed to an individual researcher or an eligible institution for CIHR, the organization will be required to sign a collaborative agreement outlining the conditions of funding.
- Footnote 1
Before applying to the President’s Fund, please consult CIHR's funding opportunity database to view the funding opportunities available and determine whether your request is eligible for any of these opportunities.
- Footnote 2
Please note that requests to the President's Fund do not require the use of ResearchNET to apply for funding and no specific format for the application is provided.
Please address all requests to:
CIHR President's Fund
160 Elgin Street