2011 ICR Calendar of Events
CCRC Community Forum: An afternoon with leading Canadian cancer experts
The inaugural Canadian Cancer Research Conference is just around the corner and with it, the first-ever Community Forum. The Forum will feature short, dynamic presentations by seven leading cancer experts, as well as a presentation by a cancer survivor. It is an opportunity to learn about cancer research successes, to get a glimpse of what the future may hold, and to meet these leading researchers in person at a 'mix and mingle' that will close the afternoon.
If you are a volunteer, donor, Board member or staff person with a cancer-related organization, or a member of the public interested in learning about cancer and cancer research, the Community Forum is for you. Registration is required but free.
Join us Sunday, November 27 from 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Sheraton Centre Toronto, 123 Queen Street West. Register online or by phone at (416) 915-9222 ext. 5738.
- The CIHR Institute of Cancer Research is hosting a New Principal Investigators Meeting that will occur in conjunction with the first Canadian Cancer Research Conference, organized by the Canadian Cancer Research Alliance. The meeting will take place at the Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel on November 27-30, 2011. This event is targeted towards new faculty research members (within their first five years of appointment) at Canadian Universities. Please visit the meeting website for more information.
- CIHR is hosting a Journalist Workshop featuring the Institute of Cancer Research on October 28, 2011 at the Sheraton Centre in Montreal.
- ICR is hosting a café scientifique on cancer survivorship at the Indigo Bookstore October 27, 2011 in Montreal
- 31st Institute Advisory Board Meeting, Halifax, Nova Scotia, May 4-5, 2011
- The CIHR Institute of Cancer Research, together with the Institute of Genetics, the Institute of Infection and Immunity and the Institute of Nutrition, Metabolism and Diabetes organized a workshop on Personalized Medicine: Metabolic Disruption and Disease on September 28-29, 2011 in Luxembourg. The goals of this workshop are to provide a forum to initiate active joint research between leading researchers from Canada, Luxembourg and Qatar on personalized medicine with a focus on metabolic disruption and disease, and to determine if there is an opportunity for international collaborations and for development of bilateral/trilateral funding programs between these countries.
- CIHR-ICR, Cancer Research UK and the NCI (USA) are planning an imaging workshop to be held on June 30th and July 1st 2011 in London (UK), at the Canadian High Commission Offices. This workshop will explore the role of imaging technologies for clinical decision making in cancer prediction, detection, diagnosis and treatment. The specific goals are to address the barriers to the translation of imaging technologies in personalized medicine approaches, and to explore leveraging of resources by each agency to translate and disseminate these technologies and devices more effectively.
- The CIHR Institute of Genetics, in partnership with the CIHR Institute of Cancer Research, is organizing the fourth Integrating the Physical and Applied Sciences into Health Research Workshop. The workshop will take place June 9-11, 2011 in Ottawa, Ontario. The aim of this workshop is to bring together leading researchers from the physical, applied and biomedical sciences to discuss topics of current research interest. This workshop will also provide a forum to develop strategies to further develop the interface between the physical & applied sciences and biomedical sciences.
- The CIHR Institute of Cancer Research, together with the Institute of Genetics and the Institute of Health Services and Policy Research, are co-leading a Personalized Medicine Strategic Initiative. As part of this initiative, a preliminary workshop on Personalized Medicine: Defining a National Health Services and Policy Research Agenda is scheduled for May 2-3, 2011 in Montreal, Quebec. The goal of this workshop is to engage provincial funders and to develop a national framework for personalized medicine.
- 30th Institute Advisory Board Meeting, Halifax, Nova Scotia, May 4-5, 2011
- ICR is organizing a workshop on the Immunomodulation of Cancer on March 10-11, 2011 in Vancouver
- ICR is hosting a café scientifique on Personalized Medicine in Cancer at the Café des Beaux-Arts in Montreal on February 15, 2011