Backgrounder - CIHR Partnerships for Health System Improvement (PHSI)[ Press Release 2012-46 ]
CIHR's Partnerships for Health System Improvement (PHSI) program supports teams of researchers and decision makers conducting applied and policy-relevant health systems and services research that responds to the needs of health care decision makers and strengthens the Canadian health system.
Decision-making in health care and public health organizations is a complex process, research evidence has an important role to play. When the research process is guided by the information needs of end-users, findings are more likely to be mobilized by the decision-maker or partner. Therefore, the PHSI program requires meaningful collaboration between researchers and decision makers likely to make use of the results of the research.
CIHR's Partnerships for Health System Improvement program aims to:
- Support research that reflects the emerging health needs of Canadians and the evolution of the health system and supports health policy decision-making;
- Support research relevant to decision makers by producing results that can be applied to multiple regions and/or settings;
- Foster collaboration with the provinces and with individuals and organizations in or outside of Canada that have an interest in health or health research and engage a variety of partners;
- Promote the involvement and recognition of, and respect for, health researchers from an array of health disciplines; and,
- Enable the dissemination of knowledge and application of health research to improve the health of Canadians and strengthen the Canadian health care system (including the public health system).
This year, the Government of Canada and partners from across Canada are providing a total of $10.7 million to fund the 27 successful projects. The Government of Canada will be providing $8.5 million, and partners are providing an additional $2.2 million.
CIHR recently launched the latest program competition. Teams of health researchers along with health decision makers are invited to submit applications under CIHR's Partnerships for Health System Improvement program competition. The application deadline is November 1, 2012 and funding will start in 2013.
In this next competition, CIHR have partnered with the Rx&D Health Research Foundation to increase funding available. Projects funded under this new partnership, Fostering Innovation in Healthcare, will address health care priorities, but also engage patients throughout the research process.