Update 2 - Renewed Canadian Common CV (CCV) for CIHR(2012-08-10) In follow up to the communique of July 31, 2012 (E-Alert issue no. 125), CIHR is providing this update on the Renewed Canadian Common CV for CIHR users.
CIHR thanks the research community for its continued patience and understanding as we transition to the new CCV. Please do not hesitate to contact CIHR at email@example.com or 1-888-603-4178 to provide feedback or request further assistance.
We will continue to provide regular E-Alert updates as issues with the renewed CCV for CIHR users are addressed.
- It is not necessary to enter data in the Generic CV. Select the Funding CV for CIHR to focus your efforts on providing the information that CIHR requires for application to the funding opportunity.
- For the Registration deadline, only the "Registration CV" is required. This short CV requires completion of two CCV sections: Personal Information and User Profile.
- "Contributions" may be submitted as attachments, as in the past. Please note that this includes the full range of "contributions" (e.g., publications, presentations, interviews and media relations, intellectual property, etc.).
- Contributions information is required for the last five years only for most grant programs, including the Open Operating Grants Program.
- Applicants are encouraged to complete their CCVs as early as possible, allowing additional time to familiarize themselves with the new system and its additional data requirements.
- Training videos highlighting what is new in the Common CV and Tips and Tricks for using the new system are now available on the CIHR website.
The following enhancements are underway and are expected to be implemented during the week of August 13, 2012.
- Information will be displayed in chronological order (e.g., Funding History, Contributions) or in alphabetical order (e.g., Disciplines Trained in), as they were in the previous version of the CV.
- Funding amounts for grants or awards held that were entered in the previous CCV will now be populated automatically into the new CV (Research Funding History section).
Information and Tips for CIHR Applicants
Complete the "Funding CV" template for CIHR; not the Generic CV template. Completing the CIHR CV will focus your efforts on providing only the information required for application to a CIHR funding opportunity.
To access the CIHR CV, from the drop down menu at the top of the CCV Welcome page, select "CV," then "Funding," then select CIHR as the "Funding Source." Then select the appropriate CV type (Academic, Knowledge User or Registration).
- CIHR CV – Registration Components. When registration is a requirement of the funding opportunity, only the Registration CV is required at this stage of the application process. This short CV requires the completion and validation of only two CCV sections, which are mandatory:
- Personal information section
- User Profile
CIHR CV – Application Components. For application to CIHR funding opportunities, applicants are required to complete a CIHR Academic CV or Knowledge User CV by the application deadline date. (To determine which CV type is applicable, please consult the "How to Apply" section of the funding opportunity.)
In addition to the information already entered as part of the registration process, both the Academic and Knowledge User CVs contain the following optional sections. Applicants are encouraged to enter the data most relevant to their role and application, taking note of any specific requirements within the "how to apply" section of the funding opportunity.
- Research funding history
- Contributions (see note below – all contributions may be replaced with PDF attachment)
- Intellectual property
These sections, and their subsections, are listed within the CV templates. Note that with the new version of the CCV, reviewers will see only those sections that have been completed.
Contributions may be submitted as attachments. In recognition of the potential burden required to enter all contributions as structured data, CIHR is phasing in the requirement for it to be entered as data elements in CCV.
Applicants currently have three options with respect to the submission of the full range of contributions (including publications, presentations, interviews and media relations, and intellectual property):
Option 1. Follow the same process that has been used in the past by submitting your contribution information in PDF format in ResearchNet, leaving the contributions section in the CCV blank for the time being;
Option 2. Enter a minimum of five contributions (across all contribution types) over the course of the previous five years into the Common CV. The remaining contributions may be provided as an attachment in ResearchNet as part of the application for funding; or
Option 3. Enter contributions details as data into the new CCV system.
Most funding opportunities, including the Open Operating Grants Program, require contribution information for the last five years only. Please consult the funding opportunity for the number of years of contributions information required.
If you have a large number of contributions or if you are not sure where to enter your contributions in the structured format, it is recommended that you provide your contributions as a PDF attachment to your application in ResearchNet.
Lifetime number of publications is no longer required. The "Lifetime number of publications" table no longer exists in the new CCV. It is not necessary to enter all of your contribution data beyond what CIHR requires for each contribution category as specified in the funding opportunity.
Steps for previewing, printing and submitting your CCV. The new CCV provides the ability to submit your CCV directly to CIHR, eliminating the need to attach a PDF copy of the final CIHR CV to your CIHR application on ResearchNet.
Step 1. Preview your CCV: Within the CCV system, select "Preview" to review the draft PDF version of the CCV. You may return to the CCV to make any revisions in your entries as required, and then repeat the Preview process. You may print the PDF.
Step 2. Submit your CCV: Within the CCV system, select "Submit." This generates a unique CCV confirmation number for this version of your CIHR CCV. You may make revisions after submitting the CCV, using the Preview function. After previewing and resubmitting your revised CCV, you will receive a new confirmation number for the revised version of the CV. You may view each submitted version of your CV and its confirmation number under the History tab within the CCV.
Step 3. Any project participants, for example Co-Applicants, other Principal Applicants and/or Knowledge Users, must provide their CCV confirmation numbers to the Nominated Principal Applicant.
Step 4. Link all CCVs to your CIHR application: The Nominated Principal Applicant/Candidate enters his/her CCV confirmation number and those of the other participants in the application on ResearchNet. ResearchNet will validate that the CCV confirmation number submitted is valid.
If you are applying to more than one CIHR funding opportunity, you may reuse the same CCV by entering the same confirmation number. It is not necessary to create a new CIHR CV for each funding opportunity if you wish to submit the exact same data.
Step 5. View the CIHR CCV submitted: Submitted final CIHR CCVs and their associated confirmation numbers can also be viewed under the History Tab in the CCV.
- Date modified: