Foundation Grant – Registration Instructions
Before you begin
Make sure you have read the specific Funding Opportunity details.
Applicants must have the following:
You should only have one ResearchNet account. If you have already accessed ResearchNet, do not register for a new account. Note that all participants must have a validated CIHR PIN prior to initiating the application process on ResearchNet. For more information on validating CIHR PINs, please click on the link above.
General Registration Process
- Review the Foundation Grant funding opportunity section entitled "Eligibility" to ensure you meet the eligibility requirements.
- Registrations must be prepared, finalized and submitted by applicants using ResearchNet.
- Applicants must preview all components of their registration in order to ensure its completeness. This can be done in ResearchNet using the "Preview Registration Materials" task to ensure that all tasks are complete.
- Registrations must be submitted prior to the deadline posted on ResearchNet. CIHR cannot legally accept a registration until the "Consent and Submit Application" section is completed on ResearchNet.
- You do not need to send a paper copy or signature pages to CIHR.
- This document provides general instructions, but does not necessarily represent an exhaustive list of all information required to complete a registration.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your ResearchNet account, or if you have any questions regarding the CIHR specific content on ResearchNet, contact us Monday to Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET, and until 8 p.m. ET on deadline days.
Tasks required for completing a Foundation registration
Information collected in your registration and application will be used to match the most appropriate expert reviewers to individual applications. This information will be provided to reviewers to declare their conflicts of interest and level of expertise, also known as ability to review.
A. Complete the Common CV
Program Leaders will be required to complete a CV template designed specifically for Foundation Grant competitions (CIHR Foundation Registration CV).
To complete a CIHR Foundation Registration CV:
- Log in to the Canadian Common CV system (CCV).
- Select "CIHR" in the Funding Source field, and select the appropriate CV type (CIHR Foundation Registration CV).
- Enter data in each of the required sections, and click "Done" when finished each section. Validation is performed automatically, and if there are any errors, they will be displayed in each section. For more information on how to complete a CV, please read the Foundation Registration CV - Quick Reference Guide.
- Once complete, click "Submit". A CCV confirmation number will be generated in the status message, and will also be located at the top of the CV PDF document. Record this confirmation number as it will be needed to link the CV to any research applications in ResearchNet.
- If you wish to make changes to your Common CV after it has been linked to a registration, you must repeat the steps described above. This will generate a new CCV confirmation number, which must be updated in ResearchNet.
- You can preview your CCV in ResearchNet by clicking on "Preview" on the Tasks page.
Note: During peak periods, there can be a delay between the time that you submit the CV and when ResearchNet is able to validate it. It is highly recommended that you submit your CV well in advance of the competition deadline.
B. Complete the ResearchNet registration
Task 1: Identify Participants
This task collects information on all Program Leaders involved in the proposal and the institution or organization that will receive funds should the application be successful.
- The applicant that initiated/opened the registration in ResearchNet is identified as the Program Leader - Administrative Coordinator for the application.
- The Administrative Coordinator is able to add Program Leaders to the registration in ResearchNet by:
- Entering their validated CIHR PIN;
- If the participant's PIN is not validated, they must login to ResearchNet and select the user tab (name in the top right banner) and select Validate your CIHR PIN.
- Afterwards, the Administrative Coordinator can resume this process.
- Entering their name;
- Entering their role (Leader) and participant type:
- Independent Researcher – New/Early Career Investigator
- Independent Researcher – Mid Career Investigator
- Independent Researcher – Senior Investigator
- Knowledge User
- Entering their validated CIHR PIN;
- On saving this information, the activity will open in the Program Leader's ResearchNet account.
- NOTE: The system will generate 2 warning messages with regards to mandatory fields (telephone and Institution) that will need to be completed by the added participants. The "Identify Participants" task will remain incomplete until all added participants complete their information in ResearchNet as described in the next steps.
- Please note that all Program Leaders will have access to the registration on ResearchNet in order to allow each Leader to contribute equally to the registration.
- All Program Leaders must complete the following:
- Enter their CCV confirmation number for their Foundation Registration CV.
- NOTE: Program Leader - Administrative Coordinator of the application will consent as part of the "Consent and Submit" task.
- Only the Program Leader - Administrative Coordinator has the functionality to submit the registration.
- The Program Leader - Administrative Coordinator will have to wait for all other Program Leaders to complete their relevant sections of the registration before submitting the registration to CIHR.
- The name of all Program Leader(s) must remain unchanged between registration and application.
Task 2: Enter Proposal Information
This task collects information related to your research program.
Title: Provide a title for your research program. Program titles can be changed in the Stage 1 application.
Institution Paid: Enter the Institution that will administer the funds for your program of research. It is recommended that the Institution Paid be the Program Leader - Administrative Coordinator's Institution. Consult the Institutional Eligibility Requirements on the CIHR website for more information, as well as the:
- Agreement on the Administration of Agency Grants and Awards by Research Institutions
- CIHR Funding Policies
In order to carry out the proposed research in this application, is an exemption from Health Canada under Section 56 of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act required?
Indicate if your proposed research is such that an exemption from Health Canada under Section 56 of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA) will be required. Consult the Department of Justice website for details regarding Section 56 of the CDSA and the Health Canada website for details regarding obtaining an exemption under Section 56 of the CDSA.
Does this application propose research involving Indigenous Peoples?
Indicate if your application proposes research involving Indigenous Peoples. This information will be used for statistical purposes only.
Applicants whose proposed research will involve Indigenous Peoples, please consult Ethics of Health Research Involving First Nations, Inuit and Métis People.
Are sex (biological) considerations taken into account in this study?
Are gender (socio-cultural) considerations taken into account in this study?
If YES, please describe how sex and/or gender considerations will be considered in your research design (limit of 2,000 characters).
If NO, please explain why sex and/or gender are not applicable in your research design (limit of 2,000 characters).
The following three elements are to provide CIHR with information on the type of expertise required to review your application.
Descriptors: Please provide keywords which describe your research project and are not captured in the categories below. These keywords should provide CIHR with additional information for assigning reviewers with the appropriate expertise to your application.
Themes: Select a primary theme classification. Indicate up to four theme classifications if the substance of the grant application significantly overlaps more than one theme. Consult the definition of the four CIHR Themes on the CIHR website for more information.
Suggested Institutes: Select a primary CIHR Institute whose research mandate is related to the application's research area(s) and objective(s). Additional Institutes should only be selected if the substance of this grant application significantly overlaps with the research mandate of more than one Institute.
Task 3: Complete Summary
This research summary will be used to match the most appropriate expert reviewers to individual applications. The research summary is provided to reviewers to declare their conflicts of interest and level of expertise, also known as ability to review.
The applicant(s) are asked to provide a research summary using scientific or technical terms making sure to provide the following information (as applicable):
- The broad goal(s) of the proposed research and clear linkage indicating how they fit the objectives of the funding opportunity;
- A brief overview of relevant background information and/or rationale for the proposed research. Information may include the focus and impact of the applicant(s)' research career;
- Specific research aims with a brief overview of the methodology that will be used to address each of the research aims;
- The nature of the core expertise being brought together to address the proposed research. Information may include important collaborations, within or outside of the research community that will be accessed to achieve the outlined research goals;
- Expected outcomes of the proposed research highlighting the significance of the proposed research and how it will advance knowledge and/or its application to health care, health systems and/or health outcomes.
Note: Your completed summary cannot exceed 3,500 characters (including spaces) or approximately one page. The exact number of characters may vary slightly depending on the type of browser that you are using.
Task 4: Enter Budget Information
This task collects information on the estimated core budget for your Foundation grant.
Total Amount requested: Indicate the total amount requested for the Research Program for the 7 year term (5 years for New/Early Career Investigators). You need to provide an estimate of what would be required as core support for your program of research and no justification is required at this stage. You may change your budget request at Stage 2.
Task 5: Complete Peer Review Administration Information
This task collects information used for the purpose of peer review administration.
Suggested Reviewers for this Application: Suggest a minimum of 5 Canadian and/or international reviewers that you feel have the expertise to review your application. You should not suggest reviewers in conflict of interest. Consult the Conflict of Interest and Confidentiality Agreement for Peer Reviewers and Peer Review Observers on the CIHR website for more information. CIHR reserves the right to make the final selection of reviewers.
Reviewers to exclude for this Application: Provide the names of individuals that you feel cannot provide an objective review of your application and add comments specifying why the reviewer should be excluded from this application.
Task 6: Preview
Review all components of your registration and ensure that every task is completed. If a task is incomplete, you must provide the missing information in order to successfully submit your registration. To mark the preview task as complete, every other task must be marked as complete.
Program Leader – Administrative Coordinator only: Review all components of your registration and ensure that every participant on the registration has completed their required tasks. You will have the opportunity to preview your full registration prior to submitting your registration to CIHR.
Task 7: Consent and Submit
All Program Leaders on the registration must agree to General Conditions and Consent to Disclosure of Personal Information, presented on ResearchNet, before the Administrative Coordinator-Program Leader can submit the registration to CIHR. There is no wet signature requirement as part of this process.
Once every task is complete, including the consent, the Program Leader - Administrative Coordinator of the registration must review the terms listed, and respond to the questions regarding consent in order to submit the registration.
The Program Leader - Administrative Coordinator will then click Send to submit the registration to CIHR.
- Date modified: