Scientific Director, CIHR Institute of Population and Public Health
CIHR's Institute of Population and Public Health (IPPH) supports research focused on the health of populations, societal and cultural dimensions of health, and environmental influences on health. It interacts externally with researchers, Public Health Agencies, and other stakeholders, to foster the development of population and public health research in Canada, and internally with the other Institutes of CIHR to support the delivery of the public health aspect of their mandate.
Reporting directly to CIHR's President, with functional reporting to its three vice-presidents, the Scientific Director will champion and support health research at the highest level of scientific excellence.
As Scientific Director of the IPPH, the incumbent will develop and support a health research agenda that:
- fosters the development of research expertise in the field of population and public health;
- provides scientific evidence in support of public health policies;
- engages and mobilizes the research community in the field of population and public health to address pressing health needs in Canada and globally;
- engages in cross-institute collaborations and encourages cross-sectoral and interdisciplinary approaches to address major public health issues;
- fosters partnerships with both public and private stakeholders;
- actively contributes to the dissemination, translation and exploitation of research findings for economic and social impacts; and
- respects the highest ethical and moral standards.
As a member of Science Council, the Scientific Director, in collaboration with colleagues from the other CIHR Institutes, will:
- provide analysis and advice on Canada's research needs, gaps and opportunities;
- contribute to the elaboration of CIHR-wide science policies and research strategies ; and
- advise on the development of – and investment in – transversal strategic initiatives.
The successful applicant will have a PhD or MD degree or equivalent in a discipline relevant to CIHR-IPPH's mandate. He or she will hold a position at a recognized institution, organization or agency, will have a solid research track-record, and will be known as a leader in the area of population and public health.
The candidate will demonstrate a clear vision for the Institute and its role within CIHR, and a willingness to act as a motivated ambassador for the organization both nationally and internationally. He/she will demonstrate strong leadership and managerial abilities and the capacity to build, inspire and motivate an effective team.
The candidate is also expected to be an excellent communicator, able to translate the importance and impact of science beyond the research community and to connect with and convene stakeholders from across disciplines at a national and international level to achieve impact.
The candidate will have the ability to create an environment that supports bold thinking, experimentation and intelligent risk taking. He/she will address barriers to new ideas and negotiates solutions to maximize potential for innovation.
This role demands significant knowledge of the population and public health research communities, as well as an in depth understanding of the relative strengths, gaps and opportunities in both the Canadian and international health research landscape.
Preference will be given to Canadian citizens. Proficiency in both official languages is an asset.
CIHR is committed to the values and principles of employment equity. We also encourage candidates at all levels of their career that possess the required qualifications to apply for this position.
How to apply
For more information about CIHR, its vision and priorities, please visit our website. If you have any questions regarding this exciting leadership opportunity, please contact Marie-Josée Lauzon, Manager, Human Resources Operations, in confidence, at 613-941-0687, or Marie-Josee.Lauzon@cihr-irsc.gc.ca.
Please email your CV and a letter of introduction to the Canadian Institutes of Health Research at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submissions must be received by: April 11, 2016
The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) is the Government of Canada's health research investment agency. CIHR's mission is to create new scientific knowledge and to enable its translation into improved health, more effective health services and products, and a strengthened health care system for Canadians. Composed of 13 Institutes, CIHR provides leadership and support to more than 13,000 health researchers and trainees across Canada.
- Date modified: