IHDCYH Talks Video Competition
The Institute of Human Development, Child and Youth Health (IHDCYH) supports research that ensures the best start in life for all Canadians and the achievement of their potential for optimal growth and development.
IHDCYH is launching a unique funding opportunity to invite researchers from all pillars and career levels to produce a short 3-5 minute video to share their research and ideas in the area of reproductive, child and youth health. The “IHDCYH Talks” competition is an opportunity to profile research within IHDCYH’s mandate to improve knowledge translation and help demonstrate the value of reproductive, child and youth health research in Canada. The objective of this competition is to encourage the production of videos that present evidence-based research to a lay audience and that incorporate a message designed to have a positive impact on the health of children, youth and families.
Successful videos will be posted on CIHR and IHDCYH social media and other communications materials. It is important that the content be engaging, easily understood and accessible to a lay audience.
Timeline and funding
September 15, 2014
November 17, 2014
Notice of Decision:
February 23, 2015
Funding per award:
A first place prize of $5000 and 3 runner-up prizes of $3000.
Eligibility criteria for all CIHR research funding programs apply. Please refer to the Eligibility Requirements for CIHR Grants and Awards regarding the eligibility requirements for individuals and institutions.
- Independent researchers and trainees (all research pillars and career levels) and knowledge users are eligible to apply.
- Representatives from Canadian non-governmental, not-for-profit organizations (including community or charitable organizations) with an explicit health research or knowledge translation mandate are also eligible to apply. (Note: If the prize money is meant to be awarded to an organization—as opposed to an individual—then the organization should be listed under “Name of Applicant” on the application form.).
- The content of the video must be related to IHDCYH's mandate and/or strategic research priorities.
- Demonstrate the value and impact of their research on children, youth and families.
Applications for the IHDCYH Talks Awards will be assessed by one internal and one external reviewer, based on the strength of the video relative to the following criteria:
Impact (25%): (achievement of objective)
The extent to which the video successfully presents evidence-based research that incorporates a message designed to have a positive impact on the health of children, youth and families.
Accessibility (25%): The content is delivered in a language that can be understood by a lay audience. It is engaging and provided in a creative manner.
Innovation & creativity (25%): The overall originality of the video; use of original ideas, illustrations and style.
Video quality (15%): Appearance, sound and image quality.
Online voting (10%): Videos will be posted for 1 month prior to peer review on the IHDCYH YouTube Channel to allow votes from the general public.
How to apply
To be eligible for funding, an application must include the following materials and be mailed to the address below:
- The IHDCYH Talks Application Form [ Fillable PDF (55 KB) ]. See instructions on page 1 of the form. Before completing the form, be sure to follow the instructions specific to the IHDCYH Talks Awards program.
- Your video submission saved on a USB drive.
- Please make sure the original page 3 (signature page) of the application form is included.
CIHR-Institute of Human Development, Child and Youth Health
Re: IHDCYH Talks Application
160 Elgin Street, 9th Floor
Address Locator: 4809A
Ottawa, ON, K1A 0W9
Attn: Lynne Renaud
Please also send an electronic copy of the completed application form to Rhiannon Renaud, Project Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. A scanned copy of the original page 3 (signature page) of the application form should also be included.
Please do not send an electronic copy of your video by email. However, you may send a link to download the file, in addition to mailing the USB copy.
Please note that any materials attached to your application as appendices will not be considered.
- Date modified: