Training and Career Development at III
Health research training is a core priority for CIHR. Success in research training requires collaboration of all training stakeholders. Researchers, clinicians and decision makers share a common interest in the health of Canadians and a responsibility to research training.
The CIHR Institute of Infection and Immunity is committed to supporting the next generation of researchers. This section includes resources designed to help you throughout your career path.
New Investigators Forum
The CIHR Institute of Infection and Immunity recognizes that the ongoing development of new researchers is fundamental to a strong and innovative health research capacity within the Institute's mandate.
Objective: to initiate a dialogue with infection and immunity related investigators in the early stages of their research careers and provide additional information and tools to enhance their success.
Institute Community Support (ICS) Program
The ICS Program is designed to foster community development by providing grants and awards to individuals and organizations for the purposes of:
- Aiding research and knowledge translation activities where the circumstances fall outside of CIHR's current suite of funding programs.
- Supporting individuals, organizations and activities whose goals are consistent with CIHR's and its Institutes' vision, mandate and strategic directions.
The ICS Program is not intended to support the direct cost of research (e.g. pilot projects, feasibility studies or operating grants), principal and co-investigator salaries or research equipment.
ICS Program Funding Opportunities
Under the framework of the ICS Program, III offers the following funding programs designed to encourage excellence in research and foster community development:
The Bhagirath Singh Early Career Award in Infection and Immunity
Objective: to recognize the highest ranked new investigator in the field of infection and immunity. Posted in the Spring and Fall Project Grant competitions, this award is a supplemental grant to support research, and has to be used according to CIHR policy for CIHR Funding Policies. The award is not a personal award and is non-renewable.
Travel Awards – International Course on Antibiotics and Resistance (ICARe)
Objective: To provide Canadian early-career scientists – PhD candidates, post-doctoral fellows, post-health professional degree fellows and investigators at an academic or research institution – the opportunity to emerge with a state-of-the-art understanding of existing antibiotics.
Travel Awards – Strategic Planning Engagement Workshops
Objective: To provide investigators, trainees and knowledge users an opportunity to engage in the development of the Infection and Immunity research agenda, participate in the CIHR-III consultation process leading to the development of the next III 5-year strategic plan, and gain familiarity with CIHR-III current and future strategic priorities.
III Planning and Dissemination Grants
The Planning and Dissemination Grants program is administered through ResearchNet and is launched twice per year: summer and winter.
- to support planning activities, partnership development and/or increasing understanding of the health research landscape that will contribute to the advancement of research consistent with the mandate of CIHR and relevant to III; and/or;
- to support dissemination events/activities, relevant to III, that focus on the communication of health research evidence to the appropriate researcher and/or knowledge user audience(s), tailoring the message and medium as appropriate.
- The CIHR Institute of Infection and Immunity (III) will provide funding for applications that address research priority areas that are consistent with the mandate of the Institute. Please consult III research priorities.
For more information and to know how to apply, please visit the CIHR Funding Opportunities Database under "Other: Planning and Dissemination Grants – Institute Community Support".
Please note that if you are unable to find this funding opportunity in the CIHR Funding Opportunities Database this means that there is no current competition.
For all inquiries please contact:
Toll Free: 1-888-603-4178
- Date modified: