Governing Council - Members
CIHR is governed by a Governing Council of up to 18 members. The President of CIHR serves as its Chair, while the Deputy Minister of Health is an ex-officio and non-voting member.
Members of Governing Council:
- are 18 women and men who are able to contribute to the achievement of CIHR's objectives in the overall interests of Canadians;
- each come from a unique background and possess an outstanding skill set;
- reflect a range of relevant backgrounds and disciplines;
- meet face-to-face at least three times a year and every two years in a retreat;
- are not remunerated.
Members of Governing Council are appointed by the Governor in Council – decided upon by the federal Cabinet – and may hold office for two consecutive three-year terms.
The By-Law of CIHR reflects the language of the CIHR Act and enables it to operate, as a Departmental Corporation, within a legal corporate framework.
Committee of the Chiefs of Military Medical Services
North Atlantic Treaty Organization
Senior Associate Dean (Health Research)
Associate Vice President (Health Research)
Cumming School of Medicine
Professor of Pediatrics, Surgery, Immunology and Laboratory Medicine/Pathology
University of Alberta
The following outstanding Canadians were appointed by the Governor in Council to three-year terms:
- Alice B. Aiken of Halifax, Nova Scotia – Dr. Aiken is the Vice-President (Research) at Dalhousie University.
- Brenda J. Andrews of Toronto, Ontario – Dr. Andrews is a Professor of Molecular Genetics and the Charles H. Best Chair of Medical Research at the University of Toronto.
- Mark S. Dockstator of Regina, Saskatchewan – Dr. Dockstator is the President of the First Nations University of Canada.
- Nada Jabado of Montréal, Quebec – Dr. Jabado is a Professor of Pediatrics and Human Genetics at McGill University.
- Jean Anne Shoveller of Vancouver, British Columbia – Dr. Shoveller is a Professor at the University of British Columbia’s School of Population and Public Health.
- Marcello A. Tonelli of Calgary, Alberta – Dr. Tonelli is the Associate Vice-President (Research) at the University of Calgary.
- Date modified: