Students and TraineesIPPH is committed to supporting a new generation of population and public health researchers who are dedicated to research and its application. This section includes various resources designed to help you throughout your career path.
If you have any comments or other useful links that would help us better respond to your needs, please send an email to IPPH.
For potential training opportunities, please contact researchers funded through these IPPH Strategic Initiatives.
- Travel Awards – Have you been accepted to present at a conference? You might be eligible for a CIHR travel award, offered multiple times a year. Visit ResearchNet for details.
- Skills Update Awards – Apply now to visit Research Centres or Institutes that could enable you to acquire specialized skills or research/knowledge translation experience relevant to IPPH strategic research priorities. Visit the IPPH website for details.
- Mentorship Opportunities – Apply now to to establish relationships that foster interdisciplinary and intersectoral exchanges (i.e. within and outside of public health), including relationship building between academic and policy settings. Visit the IPPH website for details.
- CIHR Grants and Awards Funding Database – search for and view CIHR-funded researchers that might have the means to hire students
Tips for Writing Grant Applications
Dr. Patricia O'Campo, Director of the Centre for Research on Inner City Health at St. Michael's Hospital and a Professor at the Dalla Lana School of Public Health Sciences, developed helpful points to consider for writing a grant application. CIHR has also developed a resource called "The Art of Writing a CIHR Application". It is intended to assist applicants in writing a successful CIHR application, from the planning stages through writing and finalization.
Recognizing Student Excellence
- 2014 Population and Public Health Student Awards & Dr. John Hastings CPHA Student Award
- Past winners:
PPH Student Profiles
- Catherine Jones - Reflecting on ethical dilemmas in health promotion research
- Nicoleta Cutumisu - The association between weight status and neighbourhood food environment among children aged 4 and 5 years in Edmonton, Canada
- Maxwell Smith - Investigating the Moral Foundations of Public Health Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Rodrigue Tchialeu - Reflection on the Advancing Population and Public Health Economics Workshop
- Jenny Munro - Redesigning care models for HIV-positive indigenous women in Papua, Indonesia
- Dan Werb - Investigating public health approaches to controlling drug use harm
Past Summer Institutes
- Primary Healthcare Research: Revisiting the Foundations of Primary Healthcare Research - Calgary, Alberta - June 20-23, 2010
- Space, Place and Health - Hamilton, Ontario - July 9-12, 2009
- Innovation in Knowledge Translation Research and Knowledge Translation - Cornwall, Ontario - June 22-25, 2008
- Canadian Public Health Association (CPHA)
- Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC)
For more information, please contact:
- Date modified: