Foundation Scheme: 2014 1st Live Pilot – Funding Decisions Notification (2014 Competition – 201409FDN)
Determination of Grants Approved
In approving the results of the 2014 Foundation Scheme 1st Live Pilot competition, CIHR took into account:
- the shared competition budget for the Transitional Open Operating Grants Program competition and the Foundation Scheme 1st Live Pilot competition
- the balance between providing sufficient funds to enable individual researchers to be internationally competitive, and providing adequate breadth of support to maintain Canadian capacity in health research
- Total applications received at Registration: 1634
- Total applications received at Stage 1: 1375
- Total eligible applications at Stage 1: 1366
- Of this number, total New Investigator applications received at Stage 1: 559
- Total applications advancing to Stage 2: 467
- Of this number, total New Investigator applications advancing to Stage 2: 87
- Total applications received at Stage 2: 445
- Total applications advancing to Final Assessment Stage (Stage 3): 189
- Of this number, total New Investigator applications advancing to Final Assessment Stage: 32
- Total applications funded: 150
- Of this number, total New Investigator applications funded: 23 (15%)
- Average full term total grant size: $2,726,023
- Median full term total grant size: $2,422,496
- Grant duration: 5 years for new/early career investigators and 7 years for established investigators
Level of Investment
- Estimated core competition investment for the 2014 Foundation 1st Live Pilot competition: approximately $408.9 million over 7 years.
Other facts and frequently asked questions relating to the Foundation Scheme 1st Live Pilot can be accessed at Frequently asked questions about the Investigator-Initiated Research Program (Project Grant and Foundation Grant).
Since some of the applications were approved conditional on meeting certain conditions, these specific applications will not appear in the detailed funding decisions database until and unless conditions are met.
Funding decisions data report
- 201409FDN: Access the "Foundation Scheme" funding decisions data report.
- Date modified: