Acceptable Application Formats and Attachments
The majority of CIHR's programs are now submitted electronically through ResearchNet. Applicants may be required to upload PDF fillable forms found on CIHR's website, or upload their own attachments, as part of their ResearchNet application. For a small number of other funding opportunities, applicants are required to create their application on PDF fillable forms found on CIHR's website and mail them in. To determine the application format and attachment requirements, please consult the How to Apply section of the Funding Opportunity or the Program Delivery Coordinator identified in the "Contact Information" section of the Funding Opportunity.
Under no circumstances will hand-written applications be accepted.
Requirements for Attachments
File attachments created by the applicant may be prepared with the word processing software package of your choice, but they must be uploaded in PDF format. ResearchNet will not accept supplementary audio or video material. Documents must be in one of the official languages (English or French), and must be typed and formatted following the instructions for formatting attachments listed below. The reason for these formatting requirements is to ensure that all applicants have exactly the same amount of space to write their proposals. CIHR indicates, under each section, the total number of pages permitted. This also facilitates the work of peer reviewers who must review multiple applications.
Instructions for preparing and formatting attachment documents. CIHR has simplified its attachment formatting requirements. The following apply to all attachments (including those for the Common CV).
- Use a font size of 12 point, black type. Maximum of six lines per inch. No condensed/narrow fonts, type, or spacing.
- Insert a margin of 2 cm (3/4 inch) - minimum - around the page.
- Indicate your name, the project title and the section title (e.g., Summary of Research Proposal) at the top of each page. Indicate the page number clearly at the bottom of each page. For CV attachments, only your name (i.e., does not have to be nominated principal applicant name) and the section title (e.g., Patents and Intellectual Property Rights) are required in the header.
- Observe page limitations, additional pages may NOT be added unless specified.
- Use only letter size (21.25 X 27.5 cm / 8.5" X 11") white paper/background for all attachments.
- Photo-reduce the supporting documents if the originals are larger than (21.25 X 27.5 cm / 8.5" X 11").
- Attachments must be uploaded in PDF format.
- The size of the attached document(s) cannot exceed 30 MB per document.
- For more information about converting documents to PDF, please refer to Help with Accessibility page.
Note that if the rules regarding font size, line spacing and margins are not followed, your application may be withdrawn.
For all documents that need to be attached, please follow the instructions provided within ResearchNet on how to upload your document.
If you have any questions, please contact us between 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern Time: