The Bhagirath Singh Early Career Award in Infection and Immunity
This award was established in 2010 to honor the outstanding work of Dr. Bhagirath Singh, inaugural Scientific Director of the CIHR Institute of Infection and Immunity (III). To recognize the excellence of health research being done in Canada, a prize of $25,000 will be awarded annually to the highest ranked new investigator in the field of infection and immunity between the Spring or Fall Project Grant competitions. This award is a supplemental grant to support research, and has to be used according to CIHR policy for Grants and Awards. The award is not a personal award and is non-renewable.
Next period of eligibility: year 2016
Next expected funding start date: April 2017
- The candidate must be a recipient of a CIHR Project Grant from the 2016 1st live pilot competition or the 2016 2nd live pilot competition;
- The funded research must align with III mandate;
- The candidate must have chosen III as the primary Institute on their Project Grant proposal application;
- The candidate must be a new investigator at the time of the application deadline of the Project Grant competition. A new investigator is defined as a researcher who has held a full time research appointment (e.g. faculty appointment providing eligibility to apply for grants and/or supervise trainees), for a period of 0 to 60 months.
How to apply / Evaluation
There is no application process for this award. The award will be given to the highest ranked new investigator who is the recipient of a grant from the 2016 1st live pilot or the 2016 2nd live pilot Project Grant competitions, and who selected III as the primary Institute. CIHR staff will provide the list of III grantees and will determine with institute staff the eligibility of the recipient. In the case of a tie, the award will be split amongst the finalists.
Winners of previous years:
- Dr. Thomas Martin Schmeing (2010)
- Dr. Tara J. Moriarty (2011)
- Dr. Simon Rousseau (2012)
- Dr. Irah L. King (2013)
- Dr. Bebhinn Treanor (2014)
- Dr. Matthew Miller (2015)
- Dr. Laurent Chatel-Chaix (2016)
- Date modified: